13 Ways to Fill Your Creative Well with New Experiences
When was the last time you had a getaway, explored a new place, or welcomed a new experience? Inspiration is all around, but we don’t often see it in the most familiar places, which is why it’s so exciting to travel.
Stepping away from our usual routines, leaving work and chores behind to simply BE and have a good time can do wonders for the spirit. It resets our soul batteries and fills our creative well with insights that linger and unfold in many ways over the weeks and months that follow, if we allow it.
If you think you’re too busy, you’re the most in need of a positive excursion.
To be clear, we’re not talking about running away. If life is so encumbered that you lack general freedom and fulfillment then that’s another challenge altogether. No, I’m talking about the active pursuit of creativity, happiness, and wandering for wandering’s sake. I’m talking about knowing when it’s time to hit the reset and letting yourself be inspired just because it feels good. I’m talking about saying yes, bring it on, let’s do it.
Whether you’re a mother, an artist, a teacher, an office manager, or a social worker, creativity is your human nature. It runs through your veins and guides all of your efforts, infusing every pursuit with expansion and joy when your creative coffer is full. But if you work yourself to the bone, give and give without taking anything for yourself, or limit yourself to the things, people, and places that are most convenient or familiar then eventually you’ll burn out, dry up, and have nothing left to give.
Seeking out and pursuing new experiences that speak to your desires, whether it’s with others or alone, will bring new life and energy to spark the fire within. Like fertile soil to a seed, this is the essential nourishment of abundance. Go and receive it. Breathe it all in, love it all out.
Vacations or retreats are nice when you can get ’em, but you don’t have to spend a whole lot of money or go very far to get the benefits that creative exploration can bring. Simply venturing out with a beginner’s mind, an open heart, and an intention to soak in all the beauty the universe serves up for you is enough, more than enough.
Here are just a few ways to inspire your creative spirit…
- Say yes to the next invitation you receive, especially if it’s not something you’d usually say yes to.
- Find a retreat that’s geographically close and go there for a weekend.
- Check out the funky mysterious places in your local area that you haven’t explored yet, camera in hand.
- Walk and wander with no direction or time restraints, stop to write or sketch things that appeal to you.
- Put your bare feet on different earthly textures.
- Close your eyes and listen to the birds, the rain, the wind. There is timeless beauty in those earthly whispers.
- Create art in a new way, unlearning what you may already know.
- Move your body in an intuitive way, abandoning ego and self-consciousness.
- Learn about lucid dreaming and ask what your dreams are trying to tell you.
- Start planning your ideal trip, every detail, even if you can’t afford it yet.
- Schedule a “perfect day” where you only do what your creative soul desires.
- Get together with your soul sisters and make some magic.
- Take a class in something you’ve always wanted to learn more about.
If you ever feel yourself feeling blocked or lacking in creativity just remember that it can always be revived when you put aside the minutiae of life and let your spirit soar in some new experience.
What will you create?